Are you looking to unlock the full potential of your Mustang? Have you been itching to see what your car can really do? If so, removing the speed limiter on a Mustang is just the thing for you. Removing a speed limiter may seem intimidating at first, but it’s easier than ever with the right tools and instructions. In this blog post, we’ll explore how to remove or bypass a speed limiter on a Mustang safely and efficiently. We’ll also discuss whether or not driving without a limit is even safe and provide best tips for mindful motoring no matter how fast or slow one chooses to drive!
What is a Speed Limiter in Cars and How Does It Work?
A speed limiter is a system that restricts the maximum speed of vehicles. It is also known as a vehicle speed limiter, or speed governor. 
The limiters are used for road safety and to meet certain legal requirements in many countries worldwide. The purpose of this device is to reduce the risk of accidents by limiting how fast an engine can go. This prevents drivers from driving at high speeds that could be dangerous or illegal.
Speed limiters can be beneficial to racers or drivers looking to get more out of their cars’ performance, but they should always be used responsibly. It is important to remember that the speed limiter was put in place for a reason – safety – and removing it could potentially put yourself or others at risk. 
Is It Worth Removing the Speed Limiter on a Mustang?
If you’re a Mustang enthusiast, you may have heard of the controversial practice of removing the speed limiter on your car. While this can provide an adrenaline-filled driving experience, there are some important considerations to keep in mind before taking that road. 
First and foremost, it’s important to note that removing the speed limiter is strictly illegal depending on your location. Driving at high speeds carries with it significant safety risks, so it’s important to consider the legality of removing the speed limiter before taking action.
The Mustang is a powerful vehicle, and removing the factory-installed speed limiters can make its power even more impressive. However, you should also be aware that doing this could make your car less safe. Without the speed limiter, your Mustang will be able to reach much higher speeds than it would when limited, and this could increase your risk of being involved in a serious crash.
In addition, removing the speed limiters can lead to increased wear on other parts of your car over time. This can result in costly repairs down the line that you may not be expecting.
Finally, you should consider the cost of removing the speed limiter. Removing the factory-installed limiters on a Mustang can come with a hefty fee, so make sure you have enough money to cover it before making your decision.
If you’re considering removing the speed limiter on your Mustang, it’s important to weigh all of the risks and rewards before taking action. Keep in mind that it may be illegal, unsafe, and expensive, but could provide a thrilling experience for those who take the plunge. Ultimately, you’ll need to decide if it’s worth it for you.
Even if you choose not to go through with removing the speed limiter, there are still plenty of other ways to get the most out of your Mustang. Experimenting with different accessories or mods, such as performance chips or exhaust systems, can provide an exciting driving experience without having to push the boundaries of legality. No matter what you choose, getting creative and personalizing your ride is always a great way to make it unique and truly yours. 
Steps to Remove the Speed Limiter on a Mustang
It’s easy to remove the speed limiter on a Mustang, allowing you to unleash its full potential and take it to the next level. Here are the steps:
- Start by disconnecting the negative battery terminal from your car using a socket wrench. This will prevent any accidental electrical discharges while working with your car’s computer system.
- Find the diagnostic port connector under your hood and connect a handheld scan tool to it. This will allow you to gain access to the car’s onboard computer system.
- Select “Speed Limiter” from the list of available options in the scan tool’s menu and enter the new speed limit you wish to set. This will essentially turn off the speed limiter and allow your Mustang to drive faster than it normally would.
- Click “Save” and then disconnect the scan tool from the diagnostic port connector.
- Finally, reconnect the negative battery terminal with a socket wrench and you’re done!
This process should only take a few minutes and it’s relatively easy to do. With the speed limiter removed, you’ll be able to enjoy a faster and more exhilarating driving experience with your Mustang. Don’t forget to drive responsibly however, as higher speeds come with greater risks. 
Cautions to Follow When Removing the Speed Limiter on a Mustang
If you’re considering removing the speed limiter on a Mustang, there are some cautions that must be taken into account. Removing the speed limiter can significantly increase the performance of your vehicle, but it may also reduce its efficiency or lead to more hazards if not done correctly.
When attempting to remove the speed limiter from a Mustang, ensure you are knowledgeable about the process and aware of the risks involved. You may want to consult with a knowledgeable mechanic or automotive technician who can help ensure that the speed limiter is removed safely and correctly.
Additionally, you should consider investing in aftermarket parts for your Mustang before removing the speed limiter. This will ensure that any modifications you make are compatible with the rest of the car and can handle the additional power output from removing the limiter.
Finally, once the speed limiter has been removed, you should take your Mustang to a licensed shop for tuning and testing. This will ensure that all the modifications are correctly done and that your car is safe to drive. 
How to Care for a Mustang?
Mustangs are iconic American cars known for their speed, power and handling. Owning a Mustang is an exciting experience, but caring for one requires some specific considerations. Here are some tips to help you keep your Mustang running at its best:
- Check the engine oil regularly: Be sure to check the oil level when the car is cold. Add more oil as necessary to keep the engine lubricated and running smoothly.
- Tune it up: Regular maintenance is essential for keeping your Mustang in top shape. Have a professional mechanic check the car’s spark plugs, brakes, fuel filter and other components at least once every 6 months or so.
- Protect the paint: Mustangs are known for their beautiful paint jobs, but the sun and other environmental elements can quickly fade the color. Invest in a good car wax to protect your Mustang’s exterior from fading and cracking.
- Keep it clean: It’s easy for dirt and debris to build up on a Mustang, so be sure to give it a thorough cleaning every few months. Start with a wash and then go over the car with a vacuum to remove any dirt or debris that has accumulated on the interior.
- Store it properly: If you plan on storing your Mustang for any extended period of time, be sure to keep it in a temperature-controlled environment. Investing in a car cover can also help protect the paint from fading and cracking due to UV rays. 
Common Problems with Mustangs
Owning a Mustang can be thrilling — but it also comes with its own set of challenges. If you’re new to the Mustang world, here are some common problems you should be aware of and how to fix them.
One of the most common issues faced by Mustang owners is electrical problems. This includes everything from dead batteries to shorted-out wires. Some issues can be fixed with simple fixes like replacing the battery or cleaning the connectors, while other issues may require professional help.
Mustangs are known for their long-lasting bodies — but that doesn’t mean they are immune to rusting over time. If you see any signs of rust on your Mustang’s body, it is important to take action and repair the damage as soon as possible.
The suspension system in a Mustang can be tricky. If you notice any unusual vibrations or noises when driving, it may be time to get your car’s suspension checked out by an experienced mechanic.
Performance issues can arise from time to time with Mustangs. If you notice that your car is not performing as well as it used to, it could be due to worn-out parts or lack of maintenance. In this case, it’s important to take a look at the car and see what needs replacing and if any routine maintenance is necessary. 
10 Tips On How to Ensure Safe Driving
- Make sure your Mustang is in proper working order by getting regular maintenance checks and servicing. Check for any recalls related to the model you are driving, as these could result in unsafe conditions if not addressed.
- Maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles on the road, giving yourself plenty of time to react to hazards or sudden stops.
- Don’t drive when you are tired, distracted or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Be aware of potential blind spots in the Mustang’s design and adjust your mirrors accordingly to be sure you have a full view of the surrounding area.
- Wear seat belts at all times, even if just driving around town.
- Try to avoid driving in inclement weather if possible, as this can make road conditions more hazardous and reduce your visibility.
- Make sure to turn off cruise control when the roads become slippery, as this could cause the car to accelerate more quickly than desired in those conditions.
- Be aware of other drivers on the road and respect their space, allowing them to merge into a lane safely and not tailgating.
- Adjust your driving style depending on the weather conditions. It’s important to drive more slowly when it rains or snows to reduce the chances of skidding or aquaplaning.
- Keep an eye out for wildlife that might be crossing the road, as this can be particularly dangerous if you are driving at higher speeds.
With its powerful engine, the Mustang is a great choice for those seeking an exciting driving experience. The Mustang is one of the most popular sports cars on the market and is renowned for its superior performance. However, it’s important to remember to take proper safety precautions when driving one in order to ensure your own safety and that of those around you. Keeping these tips in mind will help to make sure you’re always driving safely and responsibly. 
How do you turn off the speed governor on a Mustang?
The speed governor on a Mustang can be disabled with an aftermarket programmer or tuner. Depending on the exact model and make of your Mustang, you may need to purchase a specific type of programmer. Once the programmer is installed, it will allow the user to adjust settings such as rev limit, shift points, and the speed governor. It should be noted that disabling the speed governor on your Mustang will void the warranty and could lead to possible mechanical failure. Therefore, it is recommended to consult a trained mechanic or Ford dealership before attempting to make any modifications.
Can you remove the engine limiter?
Yes, you can remove the engine limiter from your Mustang. However, it’s important to note that removing the engine limiter could reduce the fuel efficiency of your vehicle and cause excessive wear on its components. It is highly recommended to consult a certified mechanic or dealership before attempting this modification. The process of removing the engine limiter will vary depending on which model of Mustang you own, so it’s important to check your specific model before attempting to remove the engine limiter.
Why is the Mustang limit speed so low?
The Mustang, like all cars, has a speed limit that is necessary for the safety of its passengers and other drivers. The speed limit is typically lower than most cars due to its size and weight. Its smaller engine makes it more difficult to maintain speeds over 65 MPH. Additionally, the Mustang was designed for comfort and stability rather than performance, so its speed limit reflects that.
Another reason for the Mustang’s low speed limit is its tires. The tires on a Mustang are typically not made to handle speeds beyond 65 MPH and may be prone to blowouts at higher speeds. This makes the Mustang particularly unsafe at high velocities and must be taken into account when driving it.
How can I break my limiter?
Breaking your limiter can be a tricky process, but it’s possible if you know what to do. To start, focus on understanding what the Mustang’s engine is doing under load and when it reaches its upper limit of RPMs. You’ll then need to adjust the rev limiter setting in order for it to reach higher RPMs without over-revving or damaging the engine.
Next, you’ll need to make sure that other aspects of the car are in good shape so that it can handle the increased load. This includes having sufficient oil pressure and ensuring no mechanical components are worn out or under-performing.
Useful Video: 2019 Mustang EcoBoost Top Speed (Limiter Removed)
To Sum Up
Removing the speed limiter of your Mustang is a great way to experience the power and performance of your car. But, you should always do it responsibly and safely. Don’t take any shortcuts – enlist the help of a trained professional if you have any doubts or questions. Additionally, be sure to check out your State laws for speed limiters, as well as race track regulations before attempting to remove it. By taking the proper precautions and ensuring everything is done correctly, you can get the most out of your Mustang while staying safe on the road. So don’t let that speed limiter stop you from having fun; just keep in mind that knowledge and safety go hand-in-hand when modifying or removing speed limiters on your vehicle.